Saturday, October 31, 2009

Listening to Leon

From time to time some of my international internet buddies have expressed their appreciation of Leon Morris, Australian author of commentaries and theological books.

I listened to his talk on Christians in Relation to Society yesterday, which is his exposition of 1 Corinthians 8 and 10. He would have also spoken on chapter 9, but passed over it as the time allotted was running out.

It is most interesting to hear him speak so colloquially, after having read his books in formal prose.

You can download some talks of his, including this one from Gospel Coalition

In the middle of the talk he cracks a joke, but writes the punchline on the whiteboard [I presume], so I never got to hear it!

He uses the fairly conservative verse by verse expositional method, but manages to make this interesting.

The article about him in Elwell's Bible Interpreters of the 20th century: a selection of evangelical voices was a great read. He was born in Lithgow, about forty minutes closer to Sydney from where I live, and he served the Bush Church Aid Society, one of the Christian charities I support. One of his pastorates was in the bush at Warren, which is a few hours further west from where we live.

Joan and I have a family photo of me with my first-born, aged about 10 months or so on a blanket at a picnic in Warren. I also have students from there whom I teach at a local independent high school.

If you haven't heard him speak, I think you would find it interesting. At one point in the talk, he betrayed his age, which you will definitely notice if you listen carefully.

No comments: