Friday, December 05, 2008

Who are we to believe?

I thought I'd already posted this, for future reference. But I can't find it, so here it is again, for the first time[?]

Queen Mary: "Ye interpret the Scriptures in one manner, and they in another. Whom shall I believe? Who shall be judge?"

John Knox: "Ye shall believe God that plainly speaketh in His Word; and further than the Word teacheth you, ye shall believe neither the one nor the other. The Word of God is plain in itself. If there appear any obscurity in one place, the Holy Ghost, which is never contrarious to Himself, explaineth the same more clearly in other places; so that there can remain no doubt, but unto such as obstinately will remain ignorant"

Quotations from Stories of the Reformation, Copyright Review and Herald Publishing Assoc., Washington, D.C., 1944

1 comment:

Don said...

However, what is plain to one is not to another. Prots do not have a Magisterium and I am thankful for that.